What can I do to increase my milk supply while pumping?

Dr. Laura Webb

In brief: Pump or nurse more

Breastmilk production is a supply and demand system. If you are trying to increase your supply you need more demand- which means more frequent stimulation of the breast, so either pump or nurse more.

In brief: Pump or nurse more

Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Laura Webb

In brief: Pump after feedings

If a baby is not breastfeeding often enough, or is not drinking enough milk from the breasts at each feeding, then the mom can use a breast pump to maintain or increase her milk supply.
She can pump her breasts in between breastfeedings and/or pump right after each breastfeeding. The milk can be stored in a freezer for later use.

In brief: Pump after feedings

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham