I have lower back pain. Pain feels like it is on the pain. I did have an epidural due to csection several months ago. Is it due to this? Treatments?

Dr. Brian Le
Pain Management

In brief: ESI & back pain

There might be no relation between your back pain the previous epidural injection.
The back pain can be caused by muscle strain, spinal stenosis, ruptured disc, nerve impingement ... The treatment depends on the cause of the pain. It might include physical therapy, exercise, medications, injections.... Please see a pain specialist for evaluation and treatment.

In brief: ESI & back pain

Dr. Brian Le
Dr. Brian Le
Dr. Tarek Shahbandar
Anesthesiology

In brief: Likely not

Pain in the back after a spinal or epidural is usually from the soft tissue and it does not last more than a few days.
Most back pain during labor is actually from back strain. I am not sure if you went through labor before the c section but none the less, the epidural is an unlikely cause for prolonged pain. You will need further evaluation to determine cause and to direct treatment.

In brief: Likely not

Dr. Tarek Shahbandar
Dr. Tarek Shahbandar
Dr. Karen Sibert
Anesthesiology

In brief: Common after baby

Lower back pain is common after childbirth.
Your body is getting back into shape; probably your abdominal (core) muscles are still weak, and aren't supporting your back well. Start exercising or yoga to strengthen core. Very rare to have pain after epidural this long afterward. It's hard to find time to exercise when kids are small, but even a little will help. Try nsaids for pain relief.

In brief: Common after baby

Dr. Karen Sibert
Dr. Karen Sibert