Can balloon surgery be performed for nasal polyps?

Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Not to cure them
Balloon sinuplasty is a nice way of opening blocked sinuses.
Polyp disease is not an issue of blocked sinuses the way pain or recurrent infection might be. Polyps are from nasal and sinus inflammation. The balloon procedure won't stop your particular nose from being inflamed. Removing the polyps and opening the sinuses combined with medication, oral and intranasal, long term is the best treatment.

In brief: Not to cure them
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. Patrick Melder
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: No
Balloon sinuplasty is indicated for recurrent/chronic sinusitis.
It is not indicated for polyps. In fact in the setting of polyps, balloon sinuplasty is relatively contraindicated.

In brief: No
Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Bernstein Joel
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Unlikely
I do not perform balloon surgery so my opinion is guarded.
But I have done many hundreds of sinus surgeries for nasal polyposis. The balloon is used to enlarge the various openings of the sinuses to increase ventilation and drainage. The polyp is a mass of inflammatory tissue and I doubt that the balloon would have any effect on their removal.

In brief: Unlikely
Dr. Bernstein Joel
Dr. Bernstein Joel
Dr. Dale Tylor
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery - Pediatric
In brief: Sadly no
Polyps can sometimes be treated with steroids, be they inhaled or orally taken or injected.
Sinuplasty opens up sinuses but don't change polyps. Individuals with polyps should consider seeing an allergist to see what they are allergy to, as often controlling allergies will lessen polyps, or at least the recurrence of polyps if surgery has been performed.

In brief: Sadly no
Dr. Dale Tylor
Dr. Dale Tylor
Dr. David Sherris
Facial Plastic Surgery
In brief: No
Nasal polyps do not respond well to ballon sinuplasty.

In brief: No
Dr. David Sherris
Dr. David Sherris
Dr. Peter Kurzweil