I have an area above my right heel that is swollen and very painful. It hurts to walk. It seems to be getting worse, it feels like its the tendon?

Dr. Scott Graham
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Achilles tondonosis

This is a chronic degenerative process of the tendon as it tries to heal from micro injuries but mostly lays down scar tissue.
Ice, stretching, heel cup and massage are simple treatments.

In brief: Achilles tondonosis

Dr. Scott Graham
Dr. Scott Graham

In brief: Tendonitis

The achilles tendon is a common place for tendonitis.
It is often brought on by wearing very flat shoes or strenuous activities. First, try icing the area and taking Ibuprofen or naproxen, if you are able to take them safely. After the pain improves, gentle stretching of the calf muscle helps. If pain persists, see a podiatrist. You might have bursitis or a partial tendon tear.

In brief: Tendonitis

Dr. Bradly Shollenberger
Dr. Bradly Shollenberger
Dr. Eric Weisman