How serious is gallbladder pain/ problems?

Hurts. Varying degree of pain with stone or inflammation, or gangrene and peritonitis- from minimal to maximal pain. Cholecystectomy is well tolerated for most with significant symptoms.
Age/infection? Depending on the age and risk of infection, gallbladder problems can range from mild to severe. If you are having recurrent right upper sided abdominal pain, worse with foods, and have been evaluated and found to have gallbladder stones (cholelithiasis), you may be a candidate for a gallbladder removal (cholecystectomy). See your doctor for evaluation.