Can breastfeeding help me with the baby blues?

It helps with bonding which will certainly make you happier. On the other hand, if you are in distress when you handle a baby, the baby will pick up on that and become unhappy, too, which will make your own distress worse.
People with baby blues definitely need a lot of help and support, always from family members, and often from professionals.

Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
2 comments
Dr. Linda Callaghan
Baby blues maybe due to post-partum depression. While breast feeding helps with bonding and it is also helps with the baby's immune system especially the first 3 months ( among other plusses), you need to see your doctor to make sure that you don't need treatment for it.
Dr. Krishna Kumar
If you have been depressed before the pregnancy, during the pregnancy, and after child birth, seea psychiatrist for assessment, to help you with your blues, and to develop coping skills to deal with conflicts.
Dr. Bert Mandelbaum

Some studies have shown that nursing can lessen the impact of the baby blues (post-partum depression).
Nursing a baby effectively can often reassure a mother that she has the skills to take care of the infant. More than 10% of mothers experience some post-partum sadness; mother's are counseled to look for professional help if it is interfering with their ability to care for their infant.

Dr. Bert Mandelbaum
Dr. Bert Mandelbaum
Dr. Laura Davies
Don't feel bad if you still feel bad. Get help at once, whether or not you are breast feeding

In brief: It Depends

As a reproductive psychiatrist, i answer: it depends on different factors.
Do whatever gives you less stress if you are suffering. Postpartum depression is bad for you & your infant. The blues only last 2 weeks; otherwise, it is ppd. If you have ?'s contact specialist thru www.Postpartum.Net or you may contact me through healthtap if you have questions. I can help find someone near you. Get help!

In brief: It Depends

Dr. Caroline Cribari
Dr. Caroline Cribari
Dr. Kira Stein

In brief: Not a simple answer

If you are simply experiencing the baby blues, which is a low and emotionally fragile/sensitive mood, this should subside over the next couple weeks.
But if you are clinically depressed, anxious and/or sleep deprived and breast feeding is further sleep-depriving you, it is important to talk with a reproductive psychiatrist who can help you weigh the risks vs benefits of breastfeeding.

In brief: Not a simple answer

Dr. Kira Stein
Dr. Kira Stein

In brief: Maybe yes & maybe no

That may depend in part on how well the breast feeding experience goes.
If the baby latches & suckles well - this can be a very positive way to bond & to ^ a mother's sense that things are going well. But, all too often, breast feeding doesn't go as smoothly as planned. A tense mother's breast milk may not let down. Believe it not - there are some babies that don't suckle well. >>.

In brief: Maybe yes & maybe no

And you know how women are told that inverted nipples will always pop out for breast feeding - not always the case. A frustrated baby can cry & tense up which cause mother to cry & tense up. One of my husband's many abilities was a breast feeding consultant. I know many women who found this an easy & satisfying experience. But for some women, it is difficult & it can decrease their self esteem as a parent.
Dr. Aaron Ament

In brief: ACT NOW

See a psychiatrist to help you out with this.
A depressed mother usually has trouble being comfortable with a baby. A baby picks this up and it actually changes things about the course of development. Get some help with it.

In brief: ACT NOW

Dr. Aaron Ament
Dr. Aaron Ament
Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Baby blues

Bonding with your baby helps ease the tension and relieve the blues.

In brief: Baby blues

Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Eric Weisman