Why do I bite my tongue when im a sleep and the pain wakes me up?

Dr. R Sangal
Internal Medicine - Sleep Medicine
In brief: Tongue too large
Your tongue could be a bit too large for your mouth or your lower jaw might be small.
Perhaps you grind your teeth in sleep (bruxism). Do you snore? If your tongue is too large for your mouth, that increases the chances that you snore and even have sleep apnea (stopping breathing in sleep), which can be a dangerous condition and requires treatment by a sleep medicine specialist.

In brief: Tongue too large
Dr. R Sangal
Dr. R Sangal
Dr. Steven Hart
Dentistry - Cosmetic
In brief: Possible bruxism
This could be due to a habitual bruxism (clenching or grinding).
A dental appliance (such as a hawley bite plane) that separates the back teeth by preventing them from meeting can protect your tongue from injury and allow a better, uninterrupted night's sleep.

In brief: Possible bruxism
Dr. Steven Hart
Dr. Steven Hart
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dentistry
In brief: Grinding
It is hard to say.
You may have a sleep disturbance such as brushing, grinding, snoring, sleep apnea, or others. First see a dentist for an evaluation, and secondly you may need to see a sleep specialist.

In brief: Grinding
It is hard to say.
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dr. Vicken Poochikian