Why does the left side of my tongue hurts?

Tongue hurts. Usually the side of the tongue hurts when it has been bitten or there is an irritation, such as hot foods or liquids or reflux of stomach acid into the mouth. If you see a thick coating on your tongue, gargle with warm salt water frequently. If the irritation persists, go see your primary healthcare provider -- you may have a fungal infection.
Tongue pain. Dental trauma ( teeth ), hot liquids, toothpaste, reflux, viruses can all cause the tongue to be irritated. If you are a smoker, you are at greater risk of a having a cancer on the side of the tongue which is also painful. I recommend having either your dentist or primary care look at your tongue if the pain persists for more than 7-10 days.