How can I manage my milk supply?

In brief: Supply and demand

If you are the mother of a newborn, nursing frequently will help to establish your supply.
I encourage moms to nurse every 1 1/2-2 hrs. During the daytime, especially if the baby is not very demanding. At night, you should feed on demand, but no less frequently than every 3-4 hours. Once feeding patterns are established, feed on demand.

In brief: Supply and demand

Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart

In brief: Supply and demand

Milk production is determined by supply and demand.
If you don't feel you have enough milk, nurse every 1 1/2-2 hours. Your supply should increase in 24-48 hours. If you have excessive milk you can either pump and freeze for future use, or gradually decrease the frequency of feedings. Your body with adjust the supply to meet the demand.

In brief: Supply and demand

Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Dr. Pamela Lindor

In brief: Supply and demand

Your body will naturally "manage" your milk supply based on your baby's intake.
After nursing is well established, if there are times of the day when your baby takes less milk, your body will make less milk at that time. If you need to increase milk supply to store some, you can pump once a day after a feeding and start building up a back up supply.

In brief: Supply and demand

Dr. Pamela Lindor
Dr. Pamela Lindor