What is the best way to treat insomnia?

Find the cause. Insomnia is rarely a disease, but instead a symptom of something else occurring. For example, anxiety, depression, diabetes, prostate enlargement in men, and many other illnesses can cause insomnia. Best to find the cause of your insomnia and get that treated first.
Good Sleep Hygiene. Best way to deal with insomnia is through making sure you're using good sleep practices. Like: keeping the same sleep & wake times even on weekends; ensure that your room is quiet, dark, & cool -- with no tv or computers on; comfy bedding; avoid alcohol & meals within 3 hours of sleep; no caffeine after 12 noon; sleep ritual of soft lights, hot bath, etc. For more: http://tinyurl.Com/lpcwhxt.
Root it out. Get professional help, find the true cause and treat it.