I have chronic sinusitis and my ears often have wax buildup... Could the two be related and if not what would be causing my ear issue?

Dr. Jonathan Owens
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Not likely

Chronic sinusitis patients may have pressure or fluid build up behind the ear drum, but there is no obvious association between sinusitis and ear wax.
Frequently wax accumulation occurs from use of cotton swabs, as the swab frequently packs some of the wax further into the ear canal.

In brief: Not likely

Dr. Franklyn Gergits
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Chronic sinusitis

Greetings. Wax accumulation in your ears and chronic sinusitis is not related.
I would recommend seeing your family doctor or your ENT doctor for an ear cleaning. After the ears are free of a wax buildup, begin using a wax cleaning system like debrox for the first few days of each month. Then see your doctor in 3-4 months for a recheck of your ears.

In brief: Chronic sinusitis

Dr. Richard Dudrak

In brief: Probably not

Wax buildup is likely unrelated.
Don't use q-tips / start using over-the-counter ear wax drops to coax wax out (the cheapest drops are about as good). Apply 5-10 drops to ears nightly until they run clear (cover pillow with an old towel), then monthly. If that doesn't help, get seen - the plugging of your ears may be internal (from the sinuses), not from wax.

In brief: Probably not

Wax buildup is likely unrelated.
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine