I have allergies all year and am prone to sinus infections. Is it bad for me to take routine mucus relief medicine? Specifically Mucinex (guaifenesin) dm

Dr. Cindy Juster
In brief: It may not help.
If you're already using antihistamines like zyrtec daily and not getting enough relief, please see your doctor. There are other medicines, like intranasal steroids and singulair, (montelukast) that can be added to get your allergies under control, which will cut down on sinusitis.
Also, make sure you, your home and car stay smoke-free, and talk with your doctor about how to 'allergy-proof' your home.

In brief: It may not help.
Dr. Cindy Juster
Dr. Cindy Juster
Dr. Cindy Juster
You're welcome - I hope you feel better soon!
Dr. Brian Novick
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Not necessarily
It is more important to see an allergist to determine the causes of your allergies, then try to lessen or eliminate your exposures.
...There also may be better treatments for you. These can hopefully lessen your sinus infection rate.

In brief: Not necessarily
Dr. Brian Novick
Dr. Brian Novick