What is hive?

Dr. Marcus Degraw
In brief: Raised, itchy skin
A raised, itchy area of skin that is rounded or flat-topped but is always elevated above the surrounding skin.
It reflects local swelling of the skin. The hives are usually discrete, but my flow together and will blanch with pressure. Hives also may be called urticaria.

In brief: Raised, itchy skin
Dr. Marcus Degraw
Dr. Marcus Degraw
Dr. Corey Clay
Another important characteristic is that they are evanescent, or transient. Even if hives overall last for days, each hive generally disappears in 12-24 hours, but is then replaced by new "spots". When mast cells in the skin, or basophils in the blood, have their allergy receptors activated, then they release factors that cause capillary leakage (the welt) and capillary enlargement (the redness)
Dr. Leila Wing
In brief: Skin irritation/rash
A hive is a raised skin lesion/irritation that forms in reaction to something like a medication or insect bite.

In brief: Skin irritation/rash
Dr. Leila Wing
Dr. Leila Wing