Causes of hypokalemia with renal impairment?

Dr. Clarence Grim
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Why low K kid dis?

There are many. The most likely are the medicines beings to treat your high blood pressure and excess fluid depending on how bad kidneys damaged.
Can lose from vomit, sweat, diarrhea or not eating enough K. Happy to consult as this is all I do.

In brief: Why low K kid dis?

Dr. Clarence Grim
Dr. Clarence Grim
Dr. Clarence Grim
Need to find cause of low K and correct that first. Both low k and kidney damage can come from Primary Aldosteronism I specialize in this and happy to consult.
Dr. Jason Cogdill
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: Hard to know

There are numerous medications that affect potassium balance as well as modify potassium removal from the body.
One of the most common conditions in the U.S. Is a high sodium diet requiring the use of diuretics to avoid fluid overload giving the side effect low potassium. There are rare medical conditions associated with low potassium that lead to kidney damage as well.

In brief: Hard to know

Dr. Jason Cogdill
Dr. Jason Cogdill
Dr. Lonna Larsh

In brief: Certain kinds

Of kidney disorders result in an inability of the kidneys to retain potassium.
This means that the kidneys pee out all the potassium. Most kidney diseases result in too much potassium, which is actually even more dangerous. There are a few that cause hypokalemia however.

In brief: Certain kinds

Dr. Lonna Larsh
Dr. Lonna Larsh
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine