1 & half yr baby has started to get teeth decay bcoz of sweeties. Fluoride toothpaste suggested by dentist but he is swallowing. What to do?

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: Use a pea-sized drop

Of the toothpaste if ok'ed by pediatric dentist.
Give him bottled water w/o fluoride.Wean to an open-mouthed cup with 2 handles. Limit milk/milk products to 16-21 oz./day & juice/ sweet drinks to 0-4 oz./day with meals & snacks, followed by toothbrushing. Have a consistent bedtime & routine. Read, soothe & brush his teeth. Put him in his own bed drowsy, but awake, to self-calm to fall asleep.

In brief: Use a pea-sized drop

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry

In brief: PEDODONTIST CONSULT!

This is a bad start to your child's dental health.
I recommend that you see a pedodontist in your area for a much needed complete evaluation regarding how to care for your child's teeth and not only how to treat the situation, but how to prevent further problems. This a matter not to be taken lightly. It warrants a comprehensive consultation that cannot be discussed simply on this site.

In brief: PEDODONTIST CONSULT!

2 comments
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
I agree that an evaluation by a pedodontist is essential. So is cutting out the sugars. Try zxlitol instead. This has be shown to decrease decay.
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
A peso twist evaluation is essential. So is cutting out sugars . Try xylitol instead. Xylitol have Ben shown to decrease decay

In brief: Take charge!

Stop the sweeties, no soda or sweet teas, healthy foods only! you be in charge of oral hygiene and brush your baby's teeth.
If necessary, use a wet wash cloth to clean the tooth paste out of the mouth. The remaining tiny should be safe to swallow. Work hard at this and you and your child will be rewarded!

In brief: Take charge!

Dr. Stephen Gordon
Dentistry

In brief: Try MI Paste

Mi paste has been helpful in remineralization of tooth structure (it comes in 2 forms -- with and without fluoride) for a child that age, i prefer non-fluoride because of problems that can occur if swallowed.
Stop sweets, less carbohydrates, & clean the teeth constantly with a toothbrush or with a clean, slightly moist wash cloth. It is derived from milk casein - don't use if allergic milk protein.

In brief: Try MI Paste

Dr. John DeWolf
Dentistry

In brief: Careful

Supervised swabbed on toothpaste using very minimal amt.
I.E."bb" sized followed by spitting. If that can't happen use non-fluoridated toothpaste to avoid hyperfluorosis. The key is to discontinue sweets including juice, soda, candy, and any sugary foods you can think of until the baby can manage this. Dry brushing (without any toothpaste) is still helpful with controlling decay. Good luck!

In brief: Careful

Dr. Jonathan Jassey