I had hammer toe bunionectomy and neuroma surgery on my foot. How long before i can walk?

Dr. Steven Sheskier
Orthopedic Surgery - Foot & Ankle

In brief: 1 day to 4 weeks

After neuroma surgery you can walk immediately as well as with hammertoe procedures.
The rate limiting surgery is the bunionectomy. After some procedures it is ok to put weight immediately on the foot in a postop shoe or a walking brace (usually a soft tissue procedure) other types where the bone is cut or fused and held in place with screws/plate may have no weight for 4-8 weeks. Ask your surgeon.

In brief: 1 day to 4 weeks

Dr. Steven Sheskier
Dr. Steven Sheskier
Dr. Payam Rafat
Good answer!

In brief: Cam Boot

Depends, for most of my bunions which consist of a head procedure of the bunion with a simple arthroplasty of the hammertoe and a neuroma decompression.
I have patients walk immediately with a cam boot. If their is a fusion involved with the bunion then 2 to 3 months nonweightbearing.

In brief: Cam Boot

Dr. Thomman Kuruvilla
Dr. Thomman Kuruvilla
Dr. Scott Koppel
Podiatry

In brief: It depends

By walk, do you mean bear weight or walk normally in a shoe.
Depending on the bunion surgery, most patients can weightbear immediately, but some procedures take two months prior to being able to walk without a cast. Ultimately, your doctor should guide you with this based on the procedure and xray findings.

In brief: It depends

Dr. Scott Koppel
Dr. Scott Koppel

In brief: Surgery

Everyone is different , so walking depends on you as well as discomfort level and what the bunion surgery entailed as well as your surgeon.
Some of us are a bit more conservative than others when it comes to walking our surgeries. Know this - deciding on your own is a really bad idea. Listen to your surgeon - he/she has your best care in mind

In brief: Surgery

Dr. Thomas Inwood
Dr. Thomas Inwood
Dr. Libby Putnam
Podiatry

In brief: Ask your surgeon.

Every surgery is different, and depending on what type of procedure you had, you may be able to walk a few days after surgery, or you might need to be off of it for several months.
Ask your surgeon when you can progress to weight bearing, when you can start wearing regular shoes, and when you can start exercising. Post-operative x-rays will tell them how fast you're healing.

In brief: Ask your surgeon.

Dr. Libby Putnam
Dr. Libby Putnam
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry

In brief: Healing times vary

The healing rates can vary depending on the individual and on the exact type of procedure performed.
There are different types of bunionectomies for example. The amount of time that you should remain off of your foot following bunion surgery will vary depending on the exact type of procedure performed.

In brief: Healing times vary

Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Payam Rafat

In brief: Talk to your doctor

You should be able to do some walking in a surgical shoe but it depends on the procedures prerformed.
Talk to your surgeon.

In brief: Talk to your doctor

Talk to your surgeon.
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Eric Weisman