If I have gained extra weight can I still have a safe delivery?

Dr. Megan Bird

In brief: You can.

Extra weight increases the risk of diabetes during your pregnancy and cesarean delivery or shoulder dystocia with delivery.
However even if you gain extra weight you can help yourself by eating healthy and exercising. Avoiding unnecessary inductions also will help decrease your risk.

In brief: You can.

Dr. Megan Bird
Dr. Megan Bird
Dr. Chevies Newman

It depends on how much weight but can increase c-section risk.
The gain has to be generally high, say over 50 pounds! for this to occur. As physicians we typically have the delivery thing down. With rare exception, patients leave the hospital without significant issues and with healthy children. You'll be fine.

Dr. Chevies Newman
Dr. Chevies Newman
Dr. Adam Levy