Bad gas post acid reflux surgery. Why?

In brief: After Reflux Surgery

Bloating and discomfort from gas buildup and inability to burp are common problems after reflux surgery.
I usually keep my patients on a liquid diet for a week after surgery and advance to soft foods as tolerated. This decreases the likelihood of these symptoms. Consult with your surgeon on a dietary regimen. Most often this resolves with time. If it persists, then you may need additional work up.

In brief: After Reflux Surgery

Dr. Michael Zadeh
Dr. Michael Zadeh
Dr. Peter Denk
Surgery

In brief: Air swallowing

Gas bloating is a common, temporary, complaint after acid reflux surgery usually due to the subconscious air-swallowing that people with chronic reflux do to clear their esophagus of acid.
After surgery and repair of the failed reflux valve, this air swallowing causes bloating until the body learns it doesn't have to swallow constantly to clear the acid. It may last 6 months to a year at worst.

In brief: Air swallowing

Dr. Peter Denk
Dr. Peter Denk
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery