My 2year old has asthma and it gets worse when he runs and plays hard..The inhaler doesn't seem to work, what should I do?

Dr. Cindy Juster

In brief: See his doctor.

First, make sure he's using a spacer device (like an aerochamber) with the inhaler, since that helps get the medicine down into the lungs.
If he's using an albuterol or xopenex (levalbuterol) inhaler before exercise and it doesn't help enough, next step is to see his doctor and add an inhaled corticosteroid twice daily. If you're already doing that, i'd add singulair next. Beyond that, see a peds pulmonologist.

In brief: See his doctor.

Dr. Cindy Juster
Dr. Cindy Juster
Dr. Cindy Juster
You're welcome! I hope things improve soon.
Dr. Luis Matos
Integrative Medicine

In brief: Be sure it's Asthma.

You mentioned that your child has asthma and that it is getting worse with activity.
He needs stronger preventive/controller treatments. He may benefit from daily nebulized Budesonide (pulmicort) treatments. This is much better for him than frequent bursts of oral prednisone. Besides dust mites, he could be sensitive to indoor pets or mold spores. Take him to a pediatric allergist.

In brief: Be sure it's Asthma.

Dr. Luis Matos
Dr. Luis Matos
Dr. Katharine Garnier
I agree, but if the inhaler isn't helping enough, your child may need daily inhaled medication, sometime through a nebulizer if the inhalers, even with a spacer, aren't helping enough. Singulair can be a great add-on, and an allergist can help you find out household triggers to eliminate, like stuffed toys, rugs, etc. See an allergist, and know that they will find a plan that will help your child!
Dr. Gary Steven
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: See an allergist

If this is asthma, he probably needs to start an inhaled steroid to decrease the inflammation and allow his lungs to grow and develop normally.
Many 2yo wheezers don't go on to develop asthma, but it's important to find out if he has a dust mite allergy - if so, reducing his exposure to dust mites can decrease his risk of developing asthma. Your allergist can help sort this out.

In brief: See an allergist

Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. Steven Machtinger

In brief: Lots of good advice

From everyone else but you want to know why meds aren't working.
Inhaled drug delivery can be tough for a 2 year-old. I recommend a nebulizer with mask over an inhaler with spacer. An asthma educator can help teach you & your child how to use inhaled medication effectively. See if your allergist or pulmonologist has one on staff. For asthma restricted to exercise singulair (montelukast) may be best controller.

In brief: Lots of good advice

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine