What does it mean when your leg buckles in pain when walking up and down the stairs ?

Dr. Lauren Elson
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Muscle inhibition

Sometimes, when pain is perceived in an area, the body inhibits the muscles in the region to try to avoid activity.
Your symptoms could be coming from anywhere- from the knee, hip, ankle, or back. See your primary care doc so they can start the appropriate work up and you to a physiatrist or orthopedist, if necessary.

In brief: Muscle inhibition

Dr. Lauren Elson
Dr. Lauren Elson
Dr. Jeffrey Sider
Sports Medicine

In brief: Weakness/ knee prob?

I would recommend orthopedic exam the giving out could be related to either leg weakness especially the quads.
Other possibiltiy might involve some internal derangement in the knee.

In brief: Weakness/ knee prob?

Dr. Jeffrey Sider
Dr. Jeffrey Sider
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine