I have a sore throat on only my left side. I also sometimes have difficulty swallowing to the point it can be difficult to breathe. Any thoughts?

In brief: Contact Dr. or E.R.
A person with throat symptoms of difficulty swallowing and difficulty breathing must be seen by a doctor right away.
There may be an abscess under the tonsils or behind them at the back of the throat. Sometimes, a person will quickly block off airflow (from sudden enlargement of the abscesses) and suffocate to death. If symptoms are very worrisome, one should call 911 for an ambulance.

In brief: Contact Dr. or E.R.
Dr. Leila Wing
In brief: Need Evaluation
If you have any difficulty breathing from any reason, you need to be seen and evaluated by a doctor. Call 911 or go to the emergency room. Other questions: how long have you had a sore throat, any pain with swallowing, any neck swelling? Age? The answers to these questions can change the diagnosis.

In brief: Need Evaluation
Dr. Leila Wing
Dr. Leila Wing
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology