Is it possible for hypothyroidism from hashimoto's to correct itself? I have had normal TSH levels for several months. My doctor says it's possible.

Dr. Thomas Knecht
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: No

Hi. No, Hashimoto's doesn't correct itself.
However, if you had a subacute thyroiditis and are thyroid autoantibody positive, that can correct itself and go back to normal...for a time at least. I'd recommend ongoing periodic following of thyroid labs and checking anytime symptoms recur. Good luck!

In brief: No

Dr. Thomas Knecht
Dr. Thomas Knecht
Dr. Joseph Woods
Pathology

In brief: Likely, yes at first

This is an autoimmune issue and can coexist iwth other autiimmune diseases, like sjorgen's syndrome, and pernicious anemia.
If it is controlled, the hypothyroidism and TSH can be controlled. Tsh can even rise, but ultimately, if it is not controlled, or if it goes on long enough, the thyroid fails, and levothyroxine is needed.

In brief: Likely, yes at first

Dr. Joseph Woods
Dr. Joseph Woods
Dr. Keegan Duchicela