I went to a gynacologist. They ran my blood work and said that my menopause has started. I haven't had a period in years but now I had one. Is it normal?

In brief: No

If you go for a year without bleeding, any additional bleeding is considered abnormal and requires investigation.
One cannot assume it is just a regular period, but must consider that it could be due to a polyp, an abnormal growth or overgrowth in the uterus, or even a cancer. An ultrasound and endometrial biopsy will help to determine the cause of the bleeding.

In brief: No

Dr. Katherine Sutherland
Dr. Katherine Sutherland
Dr. John Kirk

In brief: NOT normal

When you have gone a year without a period and are over the age of 40 (average age is 51), we call the date of your last period, "the menopause.
" bleeding after this time is not considered normal and should be evaluated. While cancer of the uterus and endometrium is not the most likely cause it is of course important to rule out by endometrial biopsy. Also blood tests don't diagnose menopause!

In brief: NOT normal

Dr. John Kirk
Dr. John Kirk
Dr. Leila Wing

In brief: See your doctor

If you are in menopause (haven't had a menstrual cycle for over one year) and then you get a period or menstrual like bleeding, you should see your gynecologist.
Typically once menstruation stops, it does not come back, and there could be other causes of the bleeding. You need to see your gynecologist for further evaluation.

In brief: See your doctor

Dr. Leila Wing
Dr. Leila Wing
Dr. Kimberly Morse

In brief: No

If you have not had any periods in over a year, it is not normal to have one now.
You should call you physician for evaluation.

In brief: No

Dr. Kimberly Morse
Dr. Kimberly Morse
Dr. Jane Van Dis