My brother has long qt syndrome which has caused him to faint a fem times. Can I have long qt syndrome and never have any symptoms?

Dr. John Breinholt
Pediatrics - Cardiology

If your brother has been formally diagnosed, you should be screened.
An ECG can typically make the diagnosis. If a gene was identified in your brother you should be tested to see if you have it as well. Unfortunately, sometimes the first symptom can be very dangerous.

Dr. John Breinholt
Dr. John Breinholt
Dr. Volkan Tuzcu
Pediatrics - Cardiology

In brief: Long qt

All 1st degree relatives should be checked, yes you need to be.
I assume he had genetic testing. If he is having fainting despite med, he might need an ICD. I am an expert in the field, You can consult me or one of us if you need more detailed info. www.healthtap.com/volkantuzcu

In brief: Long qt

Dr. Volkan Tuzcu
Dr. Volkan Tuzcu

In brief: Prolonged qt

You need to be seen by a cardiologist and have an ekg that is the way to diagnose the condition.

In brief: Prolonged qt

Dr. Jarrod Kaufman
Dr. Jarrod Kaufman
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine