Every time I run, I develop a hard small ball on the front of my leg around my shin area. What could this be?

Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Muscle herniation

Small defects can form and widen in the fascia that encompasses the many muscles and compartments of your leg.
The muscle underneath the fascia bulges under pressure from exertional forces that exist from using the muscles during running. The bulges should subside with rest if this is indeed the case. A thorough orthopaedic evaluation will confirm the diagnosis and treat, don't options discussed.

In brief: Muscle herniation

Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Dr. Luis Villaplana

In brief: Vein

Has to be an engorged vein from increased blood flow.
Unless it is painful. Is it?

In brief: Vein

Unless it is painful. Is it?
Dr. Luis Villaplana
Dr. Luis Villaplana
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine