I have a left ear infection and left side sinus infection. I am taking the zpak. Is that going to get reid of it or will I need something else too?

Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Zithromax is good
Zithromax is ok for uncomplicated sinus infections.
You need to give it a few days though. Also try steam and decongestants. Stay away from antihistamines as these can be drying.

In brief: Zithromax is good
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. Robert Knox
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Ear Infection
Ear infections often follow sinus infections, both of which often follow colds or allergy flareups.
Most antibiotics cover the bacterial causes, but will not affect viral infections, the most common causes. I'm not a big fan of zithromax for ear or sinus infections, but realize most infections will run their course without any complications. It may take a few weeks for the fluid to clear.

In brief: Ear Infection
Dr. Robert Knox
Dr. Robert Knox
Dr. Martin Raff
In combination with antibiotics, which may or may not be necessary, decongestion, nasal spray and sinus irrigation with Neti pot may help clear this more rapidly.
Dr. Bernstein Joel
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Not good antibiotic
The most comprehensive studies worldwide have demonstrated that Azithromycin (zpak) has no effect against non-typable haemophilus influenzae, one of the most common bacteria found in bacterial otitis media.
If you are not allergic to penicillin, Augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate) is the drug of choice, assuming the infection is bacterial. Remember, if the middle ear was not cultured, you do not have a specific diagnosis.

In brief: Not good antibiotic
Dr. Bernstein Joel
Dr. Bernstein Joel
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
In brief: If not improving...
...Talk with your doctor again.
Most sinusitis is from allergies or viral infections, so antibiotics wouldn't work anyways. The international disease society of america (isda) released new guidelines saying that zpack shouldn't be used 1st line for bacterial sinusitis because of resistance. Augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate) is now the first line. Doxycycline if you have a penicillin allergy.

In brief: If not improving...
...Talk with your doctor again.
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Dr. Shontae Buffington