How does Suboxone treatment for addiction work?

Suboxone is. ... Not a pure opioid but it blocks the same opioid receptors as opioids do. It is different because it does not activate the receptors like a pure opioid and does not give you the same type of response. So no good feelings that require a gradual increase in dosage like pure opioid. Suboxone is used to allow you to get off an opioid fairly comfortably and the keep cravings at bay.
See below. When the amount of opioid receptor stimulation remains stable throughout day, we can avoid withdrawal as well as episodes of intoxication/euphoria. This gives the stability to work through other issues. Suboxone is the best agent to do this. Unfortunately physical dependence is maintained. It also blocks the affects of any other opioids you might impulsively use.