How long can I safely take lopressor and protonix (pantoprazole) and other hyperthyroid meds. Or should I have the surgery to remove?

Dr. Boris Aronzon
Anesthesiology
In brief: Discussion.
This decision should be made by you and your endocrinologist and may be surgeon after discussing all options.

In brief: Discussion.
Dr. Boris Aronzon
Dr. Boris Aronzon
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
In brief: Depends
Protonix (pantoprazole) is a stomach med and has nothing to do with your thyroid.
In fact, in older women chronic use of Protonix (pantoprazole) and similar drugs has been linked to increased incidence of bone fractures, so decide on that one. If you have hyperthyroidism, the options may be radioactive iodine ablation, surgery or taking anti hyperthyroid meds (tapazole, methyluracil). Your endocrinologist should advice you.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology