Are you able to see what's happening during cataract surgery?

Dr. David Chandler
Ophthalmology

In brief: Depends on anestheia

If eye drop anestheia (topical) is used without an injection, you will see lights but not specific details of the surgery.
If an injected block of anesthetic is used (retrobulbar, peribulbar block), you might not see anything at all because the optic nerve itself might be affected by the anesthetic. I use topical and people are not bothered by what they see.

In brief: Depends on anestheia

Dr. David Chandler
Dr. David Chandler
Dr. Sadiqa Stelzner
Ophthalmology

In brief: Yes and no

Typically patient does not see the instruments.
The patient feed back after surgery has been positive. They see the microscope light, colorful patterns and images that are pleasant during surgery. Immediately after surgery, the patient able to see it may be slightly cloudy due to corneal swelling and inflammation from surgery.

In brief: Yes and no

Dr. Sadiqa Stelzner
Dr. Sadiqa Stelzner
Dr. Rajesh Khanna
Ophthalmology

You are awake during the procedure.
What i like to do is keep my patients awake so that i can guide and ease there way through the procedure.

You are awake during the procedure.
Dr. Rajesh Khanna
Dr. Rajesh Khanna
Dr. Michael Ham
Ophthalmology

Yes, but not really! during the procedure you may see lights and rainbows.
You can not see much of the procedure during, because the surgeon is working inside the eye. Therefore you can not focus on what is taking place. This may be limited by the amount and type of anesthesia used. Typically it is described as rainbows and kaleidoscopic of light.

Dr. Michael Ham
Dr. Michael Ham
Dr. Vicken Poochikian