What should I know if I go into labor and have the baby before I get to the hospital?

In brief: Be prepaired
First time moms usually spend 10-12 hrs in labor so this should not be an issue for most.
It's not like on tv. It will wake you from sleep. After the 1st, you become aware & should go in when you know its real. If you do deliver outside the hospital baby must be dried off completely & kept warm. The cord can be tied off a few inches from the body & cut with a clean knife or scissors.

In brief: Be prepaired
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
In brief: Call 911
Call 911. Don't panic.
Have someone pour some rubbing alcohol over a section of the umbillical cord and tie a clean shoe lace soaked in rubbing alcohol around the cord. You do not have to cut the cord. Dry the baby with clean towels and wrap in clean dry towels to keep warm.

In brief: Call 911
Call 911. Don't panic.
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Adam Levy