What is the rhogam shot?

Rh factor protection. Rhogam is an injection given any time there is mixing of fetal blood and maternal blood. This can happen during pregnancy but most often occurs at delivery. If a mother is rh negative, and her baby is rh positive, it will trigger an immune response in the mother that could potentially attack the next rh positive baby. Rhogam prevents this immune response and keeps subsequent pregnancies safe.
Complicated Issues. Can one answer in 400 characters? We'll try. If you are Rh negative and the father of the baby is Rh positive, there is a chance that the baby has Rh antigen on its blood cells. If your immune system sees those cells you will make antibodies to them, which could attack a future Rh positive pregnancy. Rhogam attaches to the fetuses Rh expressing cells in your circulation and prevents this.