When should I get my tonsils removed?They have hurt several different occasions, with each time differ, they have white spots on right &stings with food

Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Antibiotics?
Usually 3 episodes of tonsillitis a year for 3 years, or 4 for two years or 7 in one year are basic criteria.
These episodes should include antibiotics.

In brief: Antibiotics?
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. Andria Johnson
In brief: Severe infections
Severe infections that cause you to have difficulty breathing would be a good reason to have the tonsils removed.
Some people are prone to having several sore throats and will not be candidates for removal. Some specialists will remove the tonsils if a patient is having difficulty breathing due to persistent swelling or several severe infections.

In brief: Severe infections
Dr. Andria Johnson
Dr. Andria Johnson
Dr. Vicken Poochikian