What are the first steps I should take if I think I have adult add?

Dr. Laura Davies

In brief: See a psychiatrist

Bring your school records (if possible) and any work evaluations, and your significant other(if you have one).
Be honest about your substance use, including alcohol and cigarettes. Have your primary care doctor's info with you. Then the doctor will be better able to help you figure it out.

In brief: See a psychiatrist

Dr. Laura Davies
Dr. Laura Davies

In brief: Learn about it

First step is learn about it as much as you can.
Also, you must talk to a mental health professional who specializes in add. As the adult add has been only recently recognized by the apa, many primary care mds and even psychiatrists, do not have enough experience in diagnosing it. Common mistake, they think it is anxiety and they treat it as such, with poor results. Try a child psychiatrist.

In brief: Learn about it

Dr. Christine Forest
Dr. Christine Forest
2 comments
Dr. Donald Jacobson
Call an adult psychiatrist first. I have seen too many patients treated with child doses and not get any better unless the child psychiatrist also maintains an active adult practice.
Dr. Christine Forest
I agree with this comment. The problem is that many General Psychiatrists do not have enough experience with ADD. Plus, the majority of Child psychiatrists see adults in their practices as well. Ideally: adult psychiatrist who knows ADD
Dr. Richard Orr
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Common

Adult adhd is very common and many of us have been very successful in school, etc.
Read about it first - there are many books that you can check at the library. Take an online test. If you seem to meet the criteria, find a specialist (that can be a psychiatrist or an fp with an interest in it). There is a tendency to overmedicate. Many of us have minimal symptoms and self-awareness is enough.

In brief: Common

Dr. Richard Orr
Dr. Richard Orr
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc

In brief: Talk to physician

It may be time when you need to see your primary care physician.
He may be able to tell you the diagnosis if it is obvious, or he may recommend psychological testing.

In brief: Talk to physician

Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Cindy Juster