Had an abortion 5 months ago.Trying to get pregnant ever since and no results. My period is irregular my doctor told me to go on birth control?

Dr. Sally Rafie
Pharmacology

In brief: No BC if Trying

If you're trying to get pregnant, then you don't want to use brith control.
Birth control prevents pregnancy. If no luck after 12 months, make an appointment with a general ob/gyn or fertility specialist. You can increase your chances of pregnancy with awareness of your cycle and fertile window.

In brief: No BC if Trying

Dr. Sally Rafie
Dr. Sally Rafie
Dr. Linda Gromko

In brief: Go ON Birth Control?

It's common to try to regulate periods by going on birth control pills - but if you're trying to get pregnant, the birth control pills will work against you.
You may wish to see a fertility specialist. Another reference which may help is toni weschler's book, "taking charge of your fertility" - which helps you identify ovulation time to maximize your chances of pregnancy. Lgromkomd.

In brief: Go ON Birth Control?

Dr. Linda Gromko
Dr. Linda Gromko
Dr. Jane Van Dis