What does it mean if the doctor tells me I have sugar in my urine while pregnant?

Dr. Padmavati Garvey

In brief: Many times normal

Diabetes of pregnancy is a condition screened for with a one hour sugar test, generally done around 7 months of pregnancy.
Pregnant women can develop 'leaky' kidneys and spill some sugar in their urine but this does not mean they have diabetes of pregnancy.

In brief: Many times normal

Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Eugene Louie-Ng

In brief: You need more tests

This may indicate that someone could be diabetic in pregnancy, just ate a meal high in processed carbs, or, recently ate/ drank something high in sugar.
Further testing may be necessary to be sure a medical condition is not the cause.

In brief: You need more tests

Dr. Eugene Louie-Ng
Dr. Eugene Louie-Ng
Dr. Cindy Juster