How do I care for my teething baby?

Dr. Marcus Degraw
In brief: Pain control
Good pain control really.
The mainstay for significant discomfort is tylenol (acetaminophen) for kids under 6 months and tylenol (acetaminophen) or Motrin for kids over 6 months. Topical meds work ok as well, such as orajel and can be applied as needed.

In brief: Pain control
Good pain control really.
Dr. Marcus Degraw
Dr. Marcus Degraw
Dr. Howard Schneider
Dentistry - Pediatric
In brief: Let them chew
Chewing on something cold and firm is helpful.
One idea is to give them a damp washcloth that as been frozen in the freezer to chew on. Commercial teeth rings that can be frozen are available as well. Teething is a normal process. I would avoid medication like painkillers unless absolutely necessary. Most babies really don't need them.

In brief: Let them chew
Dr. Howard Schneider
Dr. Howard Schneider
Dr. Robert Brodsky
Dentistry
In brief: Hold and comfort
Some topical anesthetics can help a little.

In brief: Hold and comfort
Dr. Robert Brodsky
Dr. Robert Brodsky
Dr. Michael Coogan
In brief: Alertly
Most teeth erupt without causing pain.
So, when you think it’s teething pain, first be sure that there is no other reason for the crying: fever, injury, illness, emotion. For any pain, Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen will usually be effective, but will take up to 70 minutes to reach max effect. Letting the child bite on a clean, cool wet washcloth will help.

In brief: Alertly
Most teeth erupt without causing pain.
Dr. Michael Coogan
Dr. Michael Coogan