How long to breasfeed after general anesthesia, 2 hours surgery?

Dr. Mark Gujer
Anesthesiology

In brief: Another thought

Many lactation consultants are now instructing patients that there is no need to pump and dump from one exposure to general anesthesia.
The amount that makes it to the milk is extremely small. Personnel preference must be respected however. There is no harm in dumping for 24 hrs. I agree though have a talk with your anesthesiologist.

In brief: Another thought

Dr. Mark Gujer
Dr. Mark Gujer
Dr. Orrin Ailloni-Charas
I haven't seen a good study that looks closely at all of the drugs given in the OR. To be safe, I like the 24 hr rule.
Dr. Orrin Ailloni-Charas
Anesthesiology

In brief: Most

Anesthesiologists recommend pumping and dumping the day of surgery and reuming breast feeding the following day.
If you are requiring narcotic pain medications, you may want to extend that time until you are done with them. Discuss your concerns with your pediatrician and anesthesiologist.

In brief: Most

Dr. Orrin Ailloni-Charas
Dr. Orrin Ailloni-Charas

In brief: 2days

Most of the medications administered during anesthesia will be metabolised in 24 hrs, best way lactating mother is to inform the anesthesiologist , so that will adminster short acting medications and also will tell when to feed the baby with out any adverse effects.

In brief: 2days

Dr. Addagada Rao
Dr. Addagada Rao
Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology

In brief: Discard

I would suggest that you express the breast milk that you have currently built up, and discard this amount.
Then when you are ready you can commence breast-feeding again. Some of the medications for anesthesia and pain control can make it into the breast milk, and if not discarded can get into your child. This can be discussed with your anesthesiologist.

In brief: Discard

Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery