My 7 year old daughter's elbow was burned by hair iron and the skin was injured until it was peeled and white. What can I do to help her?

Dr. Philip Rosenblum

In brief: See a doctor

That sounds like a serious burn.
You should watch it closely for signs of infection: redness, swelling, increasing pain, warmth of the skin.

In brief: See a doctor

That sounds like a serious burn.
Dr. Philip Rosenblum
Dr. Philip Rosenblum
Dr. Laura Webb

In brief: Depends on degree

It sounds like she may have gotten a second or third degree burn.
Its probably a good idea to see your pediatrician to further evaluate and check for any tissue damage. In the meantime you can wrap the area in sterile gauze (don't use cotton as parts may become stuck in the burned area) and can give her pain relievers such as tylenol (acetaminophen) or Motrin (not aspirin). Don't use ice to cool or apply cream.

In brief: Depends on degree

Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Jonathan Jassey