Suspected myself of being hypothyroid. Went to clinic & had tft. Tsh is 5.8, T4 normal. Was told im fine. What else can explain my hypo-like symptoms?

Dr. Chris Oh

In brief: Hypo-like symptoms?

You might have sub-clinical hypothyroidim and i agree with you doc that you may not need treatment.
Your symptoms might not be related to thyroid hormone levels. I have many patients that complain of fatigue, weight gain, etc but have normal blood test. Other conditions such a depression can mimik same symptoms.

In brief: Hypo-like symptoms?

Dr. Chris Oh
Dr. Chris Oh
Dr. Carla Enriquez

In brief: New normals

The new normal range for TSH is < 4.
5. Yours is clearly in the abnormal range. You reported no free T4 levels. Tsh is a pituitary hormone that regulates the thyroid gland. If TSH is higher than nl, the pituitary gland is trying to get the thyroid gland to make more thyroid hormone, but thyroid isn't responding well enough. Please go back to your doctor 2 ask for reinterpretation of results.

In brief: New normals

The new normal range for TSH is < 4.
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Carla Enriquez
2 comments
Dr. Arthur Heller
Biochemically hypothyroid. The pituitary isn't vainly whipping the thyroid, because the thyroid is responding. Symptoms may be related to the thyroid condition. Symptoms not mentioned. Could be from iron deficiency, anemia, poor intake of protein or other nutritional deficiency, depression, less likely adrenal insufficiency, other metabolic issues
Dr. Carla Enriquez
You're welcome. Be sure to get a free T4 level as well.
Dr. David Wyatt

In brief: What symptoms?

A TSH that is over 3 - if you are having symptoms is treatable.
I do in my practice daily - especially if associated with weight gain / difficult weight loss, less energy, dry skin/hair/nails, constipation, cold intolerance or family or personal past history of under-active thyroid levels.. If weight / thyroid issues are present - check out asbp.Org for a bariatrician to discuss with! good luck.

In brief: What symptoms?

Dr. David Wyatt
Dr. David Wyatt
Dr. David Wyatt
Yes yes and YES!!! If your doc will not discuss treatment ask to see an endocrinologist or seek out a bariatric MD ASBP.org. Best to you!!!!!!! Let me/us know what happens !!!!
Dr. Luis Villaplana

In brief: What symptoms

Unless you are over the age range of 200-300 yrs old, sounds like you could use some replacement therapy.
At least get it rechecked please.

In brief: What symptoms

At least get it rechecked please.
Dr. Luis Villaplana
Dr. Luis Villaplana
Dr. Andrea Brand