If I am still having regular menstrual cycles while on tamoxifen, is there a chance the tamoxifen isn't really doing it's job?

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham

In brief: Normal to cycle.

Tamoxifen is an estrogen receptor modulator and is not intended to suppress the ovaries.
It is intended to block the estrogen receptors so that estrogen cannot bind and stimulate that particular tissue - usually tamoxifen is used to block stimulation of breast tissue in patients with estrogen receptor positive breast cancer. Tamoxifen is not intended to stop you from having normal cycles.

In brief: Normal to cycle.

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Padmavati Garvey

In brief: Possible

I would talk to your oncologist and gynecologist about this.
It depends on your age and weight, etc. There are blood tests that can be done to determine how well your ovaries are being suppressed.

In brief: Possible

Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Tamoxifen is not intended to stop the menstrual cycle.
Dr. Adam Levy