For the last few years, one of my nostrils is always blocked, but they switch back and forth. It's not always the same one. How can I cure it?

Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Normal nostrils

The nose has bony ridges inside each nostril called turbinates that swell as a result of normal blood flow patterns.
Turbinates help humidify the air you breath. The swelling alternates from left to right on a normal cycle (every few hours typically). It usually does not require treatment unless you also suffer from allergies or chronic sinus problems.

In brief: Normal nostrils

Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
Dr. Edward Neilsen

In brief: Nasal Saline

What you are describing is classic nasal congestion, usually allergic.
Everyone has a "dominant" nostril, and this switches back and forth every 4-6 hours. The other nostril is typically not completely blocked, but is a little tigher. If you have baseline allergies, this can be a little more bothersome. Sometimes nasal steroids (flonase, etc) are needed, but try saline spray first.

In brief: Nasal Saline

Dr. Edward Neilsen
Dr. Edward Neilsen
Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: This may be normal

Everyone experiences the "nasal cycle" in which structures inside the nose called "turbinates" alternately congest and decongest.
This usually occurs every 3 to 4 hours. Usually, as long as one side is open it does not present a problem. I do have patients who become fixated on it and it drives them to distraction. In these patients i try steroid sprays, decongestants and even turbinate surgery.

In brief: This may be normal

Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. Leonardo DelRosario

In brief: Find the cause first

Very common complaint due selling of turbinates it may be normal or not.
Allergy could give similar feeling , nasal polyp is another.Since it is been for a year you need to have nose exam. If no abnormal finding nasal smear could give valuable clue. Steroid or saline spray could of value.

In brief: Find the cause first

Dr. Leonardo DelRosario
Dr. Leonardo DelRosario
Dr. Steven Seres