I have a small ventricular septal defect. The doctor says I should have it closed.?

You should feel good. When there is a space between the two main pumping chambers of the heart, there is an escape of blood out from the normal intended flow, back around the central circulation, instead of all the healthy oxygenated blood being pumped out to the body via the aorta. This usually results in less blood available for places like the muscles and brain, leaving patients easily tired. A repair should help.
Did dr say why?? Vsds not closed early usually close themselves. If not , they can cause a very large rumble but are not closed until the patient becomes symptomatic.
Small VSD? Small vsds do not usually require closure, unless they are causing problems due to location close to a valve resulting in a valve leak. Did your doctor say why he recommended closing a small vsd?