How can I get my friend to lose weight?

Dr. Leila Wing

In brief: Difficult

It is difficult to convince someone to do something if they are not interested (also like quitting smoking or drinking).
Lead by example and maintain your own healthy habits and hope they follow suit.

In brief: Difficult

Dr. Leila Wing
Dr. Leila Wing
Dr. James Eitner

In brief: Be Supportive

First, they need to want to lose the weight.
There are good support organizations (tops.Org), but you can be supportive, too. Offer to exercise with them (walk around the block, local gym or park, etc). Offer motivation to meet short term goals (non-food rewards that you can afford, hand written certificates, dollar store items, shopping, offer to help clean house, etc). Listen, don't judge.

In brief: Be Supportive

Dr. James Eitner
Dr. James Eitner
Dr. Keegan Duchicela