Could phentermine give you a false positive on a urine drug screening ?

Dr. Christopher Quinn
Emergency Medicine
In brief: Maybe
It is possible on some drug screens for Phentermine to show up as amphetamine.
I usually warn my weight loss patients of this and write them a letter for their employer. Your doctor should be able to write you a letter in case this happens.

In brief: Maybe
Dr. Christopher Quinn
Dr. Christopher Quinn
Dr. Stuart Wasser
although phentermine may give an initial false positive on a screening, a confirmation by GCMS will clarify the situation. This should be done automatically
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine
It can cause a false positive amphetamine, but confirmatory tests, which should always be done when testing is for forensic purposes (probation/parole, job-related, social services).
However, many people doing drug testing are not trained in it, and often think that results of a screening test are definitive. You have the right to demand confirmatory testing with gc/ms or other means.

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Paul Pyles
Addiction Medicine
Can give false positive for amphetamines.

Dr. Paul Pyles
Dr. Paul Pyles
Dr. Peter Kurzweil