How fast does papillary thyroid cancer spread. Can I give myself 3 months for complete checks. Fna and molecular marker tests by www.Veracyte.Com ?

Dr. Peter Kurzweil
In brief: Not fast
By far most common thyroid cancer.
Highly curable, with very good likelihood that you will live normal lfe span. Must be treated by medical oncologist and/or endocrinologist; am not either one, so can't supply details about the testing you are talking about. Let your physician guide the frequency of follow up.

In brief: Not fast
By far most common thyroid cancer.
Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. Richard Orr
Sorry, Doc but I disagree! Although most endocrinologists are knowledgable about thyroid cancer, most med oncologists have little or no experience in treating thyroid cancer and absolutely zero experience in working up thyroid nodules in otherwise healthy people. The pt. should find a surgeon with significant thyroid experience and/or an endocrinologist.
Dr. Susan Wingo
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
In brief: Most never do
Have you had your thyroid out? Usually thyroidectomy and, in many patients, follow-on treatment with radioactive iodine will completely destroy the thyroid cancer, so that it will never come back or spread.
Your doctor should be able to help you understand how high-risk your particular situation is. Monitoring is not a substitute for conventional treatment with surgery and radioactive iodine.

In brief: Most never do
Dr. Susan Wingo
Dr. Susan Wingo
Dr. Richard Orr
Whoa! "unkind butchery" is a little much. Almost all of us (experienced endocrine surgeons and endocrinologists) would have a total thyroidectomy if the FNA had a 70% likelihood of mailgnancy. Find a good surgeon - the complication rate should be less than 1% and the scar acceptable. An acceptable alternative is a unilateral thyroidectomy. Intraoperative evaluation (frozen section) is of limited help, so you might have to go back for a second operation, but I have done it in patients who were very reluctant to have the whole thyroid removed (if the nodule is not too big, <5cm). The real use for molecular tests are for people who have FNA with about a 12% likelihood of malignancy. The molecular test is far from proven, but as you note papillary thyroid ca is usually slow growing.
Dr. Peter Kurzweil