Do selective adeno-adenergic blockers (prazosin, terazosin, doxazosin, trimazosin) protect  from acute cocaine-induced vasoconstrictive damage?

Dr. Edward Neilsen
In brief: Some
Cocaine causes it's effect by preventing the reuptake of monamine (epinephrine, etc) and causes these neurotransmitters to continue exciting the a1 receptor. The meds listed block alpha-1 receptors, so theoretically will blunt the effects of Cocaine on some vessels, but focus mostly (esp.
Tamsulosin) on a specific sub-type (alpha-1a) that is mostly in the bladder, not in the vessels.

In brief: Some
Dr. Edward Neilsen
Dr. Edward Neilsen
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine
In brief: Probably not
I am unaware of any studies of this, but the mechanism by which Cocaine causes vasoconstriction is very different than the mechanism by which these drugs cause vasodilation.

In brief: Probably not
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Eric Weisman