When do I decide that it is time for remicade (infliximab) for ulcerative colitis?

When it's bad enough. See your GI doc. Remicade (infliximab) recently ok'd for uc, as well as crohn's. Like steroids, can put people in remission quickly; unlike steroids can maintain it. If Mesalamine orally and rectally don't work, if immuno-suppressives like 6-meraptopurine or azathioprine don't work; if need to stay on steroids, or repeatedly go on steroids, or severe sx, consider remicade, (infliximab) cyclosporin, or even surgery.
All else failed? Several first line agents failures will indicate the need for a more potent immune modulator like remicade (infliximab).