I have a tendonitis in my wrist. I have difficulty picking things up and have pain on movement. It is also swollen. What should I do?

Dr. Paul Cohen

In brief: Ice, ice baby...

Rest, and icing it down(cool compress/ice pack) 10 minutes on; 10 minutes off.
..Then repeat. And you may want to try an anti-inflammatory(ibuprofen, etc) for a few doses (assuming you have no contraindications to doing so) to calm it down. If no improvement then i suggest you check in with your doctor for some advice.

In brief: Ice, ice baby...

Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Paul Cohen
No worries; glad to be of service! Hope you feel better!
Dr. Albert Pizzo

In brief: Wrist tendonitis

Tendonitis is often caused by excessive or repetitive movements of the wrist causing inflammation, swelling and pain.
This can happen with excessive use of the computer, work repetative motion strain, piano, knitting, chopping and cooking etc. First figure out what is causing the problem then stop that activity, rest, splint the wrist and take medicines like Ibuprofen to quiet inflammation.

In brief: Wrist tendonitis

Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. Raymond Raven
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: See a hand surgeon

Uncomplicated tendonitis should resolve after a few weeks of rest, ice, and rehabilitation.
If your symptoms persist beyond that time, you may have a more serious condition. See a hand surgeon for a comprehensive evaluation.

In brief: See a hand surgeon

Dr. Raymond Raven
Dr. Raymond Raven
Dr. Robert Gluck
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Rest

Most though not all tendonitis is related to overuse or injury of some sort, so resting and allowing for healing as needed is usually the first and most important step.
Best of luck.

In brief: Rest

Best of luck.
Dr. Robert Gluck
Dr. Robert Gluck
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine