I know several people who have benefited from the injectable form of the hCG for weight loss - what is the consensus out there on this?

In brief: HCGdiet looks unsafe

The HCG diet has a person eating 500 calories a day for more than a month.
That's just one big slice of pizza a day. A 4-month old baby eats 500 calories a day. Anybody on 500 calories a day is on a starvation diet and will lose weight. It doesn't sound safe. Extremely low calorie diets don't work because the weight comes back when one starts eating again. Long-term lifestyle changes are needed.

In brief: HCGdiet looks unsafe

Dr. Shaym Puppala

In brief: Cannot recommend it

A weight loss regimen not including life-long dietary changes & exercise is doomed to fail in most cases.
Also, endocrine system is intricate; disrupting an intact system by giving hormone likely does more harm than good. It is akin to giving Insulin to a non-diabetic, or thyroid hormone unneccesarily; not a good idea. Also, as of last month, sale of otc HCG for weight loss is illegal.

In brief: Cannot recommend it

Dr. Shaym Puppala
Dr. Shaym Puppala
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc

In brief: Not approved

It's not an approved (fda approved) treatment for weight loss.
I've had patients asking me to write them prescription, but none of them returned back with a success story. Most recently i heard that people who use that can, indeed, lose weight, but gain it right back on as soon as they stop using hcg.

In brief: Not approved

Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Emil Shakov
Aesthetic Medicine

In brief: Only way to do it

It must be administered by a qualified physician by the original protocol.
Some physicians call this diet dangerous, but may just lack the knowledge about how this diet works and how effective it actually is and how safe it is when done the right way.

In brief: Only way to do it

Dr. Emil Shakov
Dr. Emil Shakov
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham