What do they do if a wound is too deep or too wide to stitch?

Dr. Vasu Brown
Wound care
In brief: Heals from inside ou
Wound is left open to heal from inside out - sometimes with a help of wound vac.

In brief: Heals from inside ou
Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Chris Oh
In brief: Depends on the wound
A deep wound can be sutured in several layers.
Wound that is too wide is sometimes left to heal on its own or plastics surgeons will use a flap. An infected wound is usually left open to heal by itself.

In brief: Depends on the wound
Dr. Chris Oh
Dr. Chris Oh
In brief: Wound care
See a wound care doctor. With good nutrition and care it will close.

In brief: Wound care
Dr. Evert Eriksson
Dr. Evert Eriksson
Dr. Slade Suchecki
In brief: Wound Closure
If you have a wound that you believe is too deep or wide, you should be seen by a professional either in an emergency dept or urgent care setting.
I cannot think of a wound too deep. If it is a deep wound, it can be sutured in layers. As for too wide, wounds to wide can be approximated and closed by secondary intention or may even require a skin graft.

In brief: Wound Closure
Dr. Slade Suchecki
Dr. Slade Suchecki
Dr. David Hardin
Wound care
In brief: Age? Cause?
A wound may be too old to stitch also.
In wound care we encourage a wound to fill itself by carefully controling how moist it is and protecting it with many possible dressings possibly including suction. A simple but deep one may need deep and superficial sutures while a surgeon may essentially change the alignment of parts of a wider area of tissue to enable closure . Called flapping or bring.

In brief: Age? Cause?
A wound may be too old to stitch also.
Dr. David Hardin
Dr. David Hardin
Dr. Indu Lal
In brief: Laser treatment
In one of my cme course at harvard medical school, 'structural acupuncture for physician' they have mentioned that laser beam at certain wave length helps wound healing.
I have tried on not so deep, but more than skin thickness, involving fascia did heal quicker. But I have not attempted on larger and deeper wounds.

In brief: Laser treatment
Dr. Indu Lal
Dr. Indu Lal
Dr. Bret Boyle
Board Certified, Wound care